It takes a lot to manage depression

It takes a lot to manage depression

I was first diagnosed with depression after my first year in college. I believe I was suffering with it in my teens as well, but it was chalked up to hormones. I went on to take Prozac, and feel much better. Several month later, when my mood improved and I got annoyed with some of the side effects, I decided I was well enough to stop. About five years later, I was having trouble with depression symptoms again, and went back on Prozac. I then repeated the earlier pattern of taking for a while, feeling much better, and discontinuing it due to side effects and lack of understanding of the need for continued treatment dose to prevent relapse. In the past year, I have had multiple stressful events that have turned my life upside down and made me re-think everything. This time around, I started with 6 months of counseling, which helped. My counselor suggested medication when the counseling was not progressing because I was "stuck" on what was depressing me. I am now on Lexapro, and the depression is much better. I have also continued counseling, learned how my actions affect my thoughts and moods, and am willing to take the side effects because the treatment is working. I am in a much better place now then I was before all of this help. I am also learning how to manage the things I can on my own, such as reversing negative thinking, noticing which activities help my mood, being grateful, and purposefully letting go the things that bring me down. I have found it helpful to write about my progress, and I am at a place where I am willing to keep learning and moving forward.

Comments

pray god will help u to god change anthing

Aug 17, 2013 - 10:42 AM by Jenel M

I haven't tried counseling, but perhaps I should. My meds aren't controlling my emotions like they should. I cry at the drop of a hat, and am short tempered, and the smallest things annoy me, especially at my job. Writing down progress sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 24, 2013 - 4:33 PM by Deborah A

As many have said, my story is also similar to yours bouncing around On different doses and different medications.. I am also finding My current mess ceasing to function as well as before but am unsure Of how to approach my doctor cause every time I do he seems to Change the subject ?

Jun 14, 2013 - 12:09 AM by Kayla G

Hello Gabriela, your story is similar to mine. I was first diagnosed with depression when I was a couple years into college as well, but I'm sure I had it as a teen. I tried various medications, therapy, off and on...

Jun 12, 2013 - 8:36 AM by Stacy S

When I was in college and diagnosed, the doctor said "Just cut down on your coffee and you'll be fine." and that was that. A couple years later, I had a migraine as a reaction to unrelated medication. I went to Urgent Care, and the first doctor I saw thought I was "simply stressed" from "all the college courses" I was taking... As if, because I was a woman, I couldn't handle it. Anyway, *he* put me on trazadone. I stayed on that, and my coursework suffered, for a couple of months until I had another migraine blow right through it. I went in, for a second opinion, and this doctor figured out what was going on (I was having a reaction to Norplant). I'd had enough of that nonsense for quite a while... I went to a couple of therapists here and there, but it wasn't until about ten years ago I finally asked a doctor to put me on antidepressants. Since then I've changed insurance a few times and had a few different doctors. I don't remember all the meds I've tried - trazadone (which was awful), Zoloft, Celexa, and at least one or two others.

Jul 05, 2013 - 9:18 AM by Stacy S

Stacy - Do you remember which medications your doctor put you on when you were first diagnosed? Thanks

Jun 12, 2013 - 9:01 AM by David D

Gabriela - Welcome to healtheo360 and thank for sharing your story with us. It is amazing how often depression in children go undiagnosed. I am glad to see that you are using a combination of meds and counseling to now manage your depression. I am also glad to hear you say that you feel you are in a better place now and that you are willing to deal with some of the medication side effects because the overall therapy is working for you. Have you taken a look at our "Apple A Day" support group here at healtheo360. You will see I post a lot of motivational quotes there. One of the things I enjoy is going on line and finding quotes to post as I find myself reading through quite a few and thinking about their meaning before I select the perfect one for that day to post. Give it a try! I would love to see participate with me. Stay Strong as As Always - Be Well.

Jun 02, 2013 - 1:47 PM by David D