When I found out I was Diabetic

When I found out I was Diabetic

2 Years ago on fathers day I wasnt feeling all that great, I kept getting headaches, extremely thirsty, and it felt like I had to throw up. I knew something was wrong because i never felt like that except the excessive thirstiness. I was at my great grandmas house and something told me to check my sugar even though I never had problems with my sugar before. When I checked it the meter read 890, and when I seen it i immediately called my mom and she asked me if I was sure thats what it read. With that being said i checked it 3 more times and ir said the same number, so we rushed to the hospital and the doctors told me I was about to go into diabetic shock since my sugar was so high I was in ketoacidosis. While i was laying in the hospital bed the doctors came in and told me that I was lucky to have came into the hospital because I could have went into a coma at any given time or i could have died. An hour later the doctor came back into the room and said i had to be transported to a different hospital because I was under the age of 18. That week was one of the worse weeks of my life because i feel like they used me like a lab rat to do so many tests on me and it was just horrible. i got released out the hospital the day after my birthday and i was on 5 shots of insulin a day along with pills to keep my sugar under control. 2 months later no one followed up with me to check and see how my body was doing on the insulin and come to find out the doses that they told me to take was way too much, because my sugar would get down to 30 and sometimes lower. So I decided to ease my self off of the shots knowing that it was a risky thing to do and my sugar has been perfect running between 80 and 120 like its supposed to. When I finally had a check up I had blood tests done to check my A1c levels and the doctor told me that what ever I have been doing is working because I only at border line diabetic now, but ever since I found out I'm a diabetic my life has been nothing but a living hell. My depression just gets worse as time goes by everyone is always on my back about my diabetes even though its under control. Im so lost and just dont know what to do anymore, but if you can relate to me please let me know so we can talk and try to get through this together because its always better to have people on your side that is going through the same thing because they can relate more to one another.

Comments

Hello Terrika, This is a very touching story. You have accomplished a lot in 2 years. You got off the insulin shots and just on the pills. I'm really proud of you. You keep up the good work, and don't let other people pull you down and try to treat you like child instead of an adult. Keep the faith.

Jul 05, 2013 - 10:00 PM by Rosalind W

Hi Terrika - Your story has touched me very much. You are so strong and I admire you for that. Mr Jeremy is right, You Are an adult - You Are strong, and You WILL be fine. I know how you are feeling because sometimes I am not always treated like an adult. Please never give up. This is a really good website to learn from others and share your story to help others. Please let me know how you are doing. Your healtheo360 friend. Liz

Dec 01, 2012 - 4:37 PM by Elizabeth D

Hi Liz, thankyou for reading and im glad to share with anyone and everyone. and I will make sure to keep you updated one how everything is going. As long as we have eachothers support we all can get through it.

Dec 02, 2012 - 2:46 AM by Terrika S

Hello Terrika! You are not alone their friend! I know exactly what you are going through. My journey with diabetes has been similar but I have a feeling that we maybe in different parts of our journey. It does get better, ESPECIALLY with your attitude! You are young and people tend to harp on those who are younger simply because they are having a hard time seeing you as the adult you are. I can tell you how sick I get of people telling me that I am a diabetic and therefore I should not be doing this or that. I hope you realize that this too shall pass and that we are here for you in as much of a capacity that the internet allows. This group of people is a great one to have in your corner too. Feel free to shoot me an email if you would prefer to chat more one on one. Diabeticdaddy76 (AT) gmail.com Just hang in there okay! :)

Nov 30, 2012 - 11:45 PM by Jeremy B

Hi Jeremy B. My journey has been Long and hard but it seems like its coming to an end soon, which I hope. I try the best I can to have a good attitude when it comes to having diabetes. I can only imagine how sick you get of people telling you that you should do things differently, because I get sick of people too even tho thats a way for them to show that they care. And I can tell that I have all of the people from this website on my side, by my side, and here to support me because they may know someone that is going through what I went through or they may still be. but I will send you an email to see how your are doing with your diabetes.

Dec 01, 2012 - 3:48 AM by Terrika S

Hi Terrika, I'm so glad that you called your mom and went to the hospital right away. I admire you for keeping your blood sugar under control. What lifestyle changes did you experience besides the insulin shots?

Nov 26, 2012 - 5:46 PM by Qi Z

Thank you Qi Z. I experience alot like when I first got sick I started losing weight drastically but I didnt think much of it since I was trying to lose weight by working out anyway. But once I found out my lifestyle changed completely since I had to change the way I eat and/or what I eat, but the weird thing is that I'm not the type of person that really eats junk food or sweets at all. I did cut out alot of juices out of my intake which wasnt a big deal because I mainly drank/drink water all the time so that wasnt a big deal for me. The only lifestyle change that was hard for me was staying on a schedule on when to eat because I can do a couple days without having an appetite, but when I do get my appetite back I can just eat and eat. The more I pushed myself to stay on a schedule the easier it was even if I dont have an appetite I make sure I atleast eat crackers. Thats really the main lifestyle changes I've made

Dec 01, 2012 - 3:40 AM by Terrika S

Terrika - I am so glad to hear you are going to keep your head up and not give up on yourself. Everyone goes through difficult periods in their life no matter who they are or what their background is. It is during these periods that define us as a person and how we find inner strength to carry on. healtheo360 was started for this exact purpose. When my sister-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer our family went through a very difficult time. Always remember, you are not alone and you have the support of this community to provide inspiration. Keep us all posted on your progress as your journey is inspirational to us all. Have a great day and as always, Be Well. Dave

Nov 19, 2012 - 9:09 AM by David D

Hello Terrika and thank you for having the strength to honestly share your thoughts. You are an inspiration and will give others strength to honestly share their fears. You have nothing to be ashamed of and will be just fine. Follow your doctor's advice and trust yourself. Diabetes can be controlled and even conquered.

Nov 18, 2012 - 7:25 PM by B Randall W

Thank you B Randall W I think that I have conquered my diabetes for the most part and im going to continue to push so that I can conquer it completely, and be able to tell other that I did it and they can too as well. And I'm Glad and thankful for the comment to support me, inspire me, and motivate me to keep pushing harder than what I already am.

Nov 18, 2012 - 7:55 PM by Terrika S

Hi Terrika. Please do not be so hard on yourself. You should be applauded for getting your diabetes under control as quickly as you did. Diabetes is a very complicated disease and often takes a long period of time to figure out how to manage. Now lets talk about your depression. You did not mention if you are being treated for this. Depression is curable with medication and therapy. Once your depressive symptoms subside, you will feel a whole lot better and be able to manage all the pressure you have from others. Call your doctor and give yourself a well deserved break. XO Dorit

Nov 18, 2012 - 6:30 PM by Dorit M

Hi Dorit I have been treated for my depression in the past but it just didnt work out because they were putting me on so many different medications and I didnt want to take them because I know that they can get addicting and I didnt want to take that risk. Within 1 week i was on 6 different meds and I was either like a zombie, very aggressive, and us everything that comes along with those type of meds. Thats why I dont want to continue with taking any meds because I'm actually better without any. you can tell a big difference from when I was on those meds because I wouldnt leave my room at all and I would just sleep all the time, and I wouldnt even be around my family so I think the medications just made me worse off than what I have ever been.

Nov 18, 2012 - 7:52 PM by Terrika S

Dear Terrika - First let me welcome you to the healtheo360 community, I am glad you found us. I also want to thank you for your story, it is truly a very inspirational one. It sounds like you are getting on the right track and it is so important to follow your doctors orders. I don't have diabetes but many of my family members do and I understand how you are feeling. In addition to following your doctors orders, it is important that you maintain a healthy diet and maintain an exercise program, even if it is going for walks every day. I want you to know that I am on your side but if you feel your depression is getting worse, I ask you to seek professional help. I have had friends who struggled with depression and with professional help they are doing much better. The good thing about diabetes unlike a lot of other conditions is that you can work to control it. Always remember NEVER give up. I would also like you to join the support group on this site called "An Apple A Day" where we post motivational quotes every day and I think you would enjoy it. You have your whole life ahead of you and things are going to work out. It is going to require work on your part but together we can get there. Again, follow your doctors orders and as always - Be Well. Dave

Nov 18, 2012 - 5:50 PM by David D

Thank you for welcoming me to the site and im very pleased that I have found it. I will continue to keep my head up and not give up. Im very willing to hear other peoples' stories and how they are handling what ever they are going through. I know it'll be hard to maintain but the only thing I can do is make it work, and reading all the stories and watching the videos have inspired me so much to where I'm going to continue to work through this.

Nov 18, 2012 - 7:47 PM by Terrika S