Eye Problems with Diabetes #2

Eye Problems with Diabetes #2

Cataracts and Diabetes - how and why a Diabetic is prone to get Cataracts.

Comments

Were you aware that there were a couple of animal studies done at Tufts with resistant starch on eye health and advanced macular degeneration? Resistant starch was used as a low Glycemic Index starch and was compared to high Glycemic Index starch. They found that resistant starch reduced age-related glycation endproducts in the eyes of mice compared to mice that had consumed high glycemic starch. http://dx.doi.org/10.1167/iovs.13-12413. http://dx.doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-8545. Resistant starch is fermented in the large intestine and changes the expression of hundreds of genes, some related to glucose and lipid metabolism. It was a surprise to the researchers that gut fermentation impacted eye health as they were still attributing the effects on the low glycemic response without taking into account the fermentation effects. This builds on the 8 human clinical studies showing improved insulin sensitivity from resistant starch, especially in prediabetics. Improving blood sugar management by improving insulin sensitivity helps to reduce the deposits within the eyes because there is less glucose present. I do not know if this applies to cataracts as well, but thought you might not be aware of this relatively unknown benefit of resistant starch. See http://www.resistantstarch.us/health-benefits/emerging/ for more information on the emerging benefits of resistant starch and http://www.healtheo360.com/stories/diabetes/resistant-starch-reverses-prediabetes/ for more information on reversing prediabetes.

Oct 25, 2016 - 12:21 PM by Rhonda W

Hi, Dr. Janina, I like your videos very much because they give me helpful information about diabetes.

Sep 17, 2013 - 8:51 PM by Rosalind W

Hello Dr Janina Thanks for explaining how diabetes affects the eyes. I did have both inner lenses replaced some 20 years ago. What I noticed was the difference in light perception once one eye was done compared to the other. The repaired eye was so bright and clear. The other, dingy brown! Never knew I had such a condition untill the surgery . Later it was determined I had fueks dystrophy and Horner's syndrome. Also a detached retina, corneal errosian now a pale optic nerve, with a loss of central vision. Took a retina specialist to finally diagnose that after having a partial cornea transplant. Thanks again!

Jan 06, 2013 - 3:31 AM by ronald h

Dear Ronald, I am glad that you finally got to the right type of Specialist to diagnose your eyes. That is one of my problems with health care today, that we patients don't always get to who we actually need when we need them. Educational sites like 360 are such a blessing to have because we can help each other learn.

Jan 18, 2013 - 12:16 AM by janina s

Dr. Janina, thank you very much for this information. Your video helps me to better understand the relationship between diabetes and cataracts. My grandma is diabetic and she actually developed cataracts three years ago. We weren't sure if it was due to her age or diabetes. Eventually her doctor performed the cataract surgery and it was a success.

Nov 27, 2012 - 12:11 PM by Ariel T

Thank you for letting me know I could help. I look forward to growing my own vegetables in the future. Hats off to you for doing it already! :)

Nov 30, 2012 - 10:11 PM by janina s

Janina - Thanks so much for this very informative story. I particularly like the way you are able to write on your screen to illustrate the points you are trying to highlight. It seems that with patients who are developing this "diabetic eye" may not even know that they have Diabetes until it is identified by their eye doctor because of the early signs of the diabetic eye. Thanks so much for this video, I look forward to hearing more and as always - Be Well. Dave

Nov 27, 2012 - 6:42 AM by David D

Dear David, you brought up a good point to me asking if Eye Doctors are able to see Diabetic changes in the eye on a routine exam. There is where I have a problem with the routine eye exam. If the Doctor does not Dilate the pupil or use a device capable of looking into the peripheral parts of the retina, then some disease may be missed. If the patient states they have Diabetes, then it is the Doctors responsibility to educate the patient that a Dilated eye exam must be done. The patients who may not know they have diabetes may fall thru the cracks in the health care system if their Eye Doctor is not following the standards of Health Care. I unfortunately know plenty of Eye Doctors too LAZY to Dilate the eyes or too Cheap to spend the money on Technologically advanced equipment that takes the place of a routine dilation. This is why I did a video on what a eye health evaluation "Should" include. Because I mentioned WalMart, the video got a lot of hits. :)

Dec 03, 2012 - 11:10 AM by janina s

Thank you so much for putting together such a needed support system for all involved. I want to wish you and your loved one better health in the future and much happiness.

Nov 30, 2012 - 10:12 PM by janina s