Diabetic Retinopathy (Bleeding in the Eye)

Diabetic Retinopathy (Bleeding in the Eye)

How does diabetes affect the eye, bleeding in the back wall of the eye and how it happens. Learn what you should do to prevent vision loss due to diabetes

Comments

Dr. Janina, This is a great video. My father has bleeding in back wall in bother eyes. His right eye is worse than his left. The doctor has started giving him laser in his right eye. He will be going tomorrow to finished get laser in his right eye. He will start next week with the left eye getting laser.

Jul 30, 2013 - 5:24 PM by Rosalind W

Hi Rosalind, is he taking good care of himself for the future regarding his doctors instructions on diet?

Aug 01, 2013 - 12:00 AM by janina s

I love this video! Are you a teacher by any chance?

Jan 04, 2013 - 5:34 PM by Abby B

Hi Abby, sorry it took so long to reply but I was moving and had trouble getting WiFi. Now that I am connected to the world again, I feel great getting your compliment. No, I am not a teacher but enjoy helping others learn in a non complicated way. Glad you watched :)

Jan 18, 2013 - 12:21 AM by janina s

Janina - I guess it all leads back to taking control of your own health. In order to do that, its all about education, education, and more education. Of course lets not forget the will power required to make the necessary changes required for better health. Thanks so much for helping educate our members and I will keep an eye out for your next video! As Always - Be Well.

Jan 04, 2013 - 5:55 AM by David D

Janina - another very informative video. Are there any early warning signs that one should look for to determine if they have bleeding in the eye? Most of the time a diabetic who is not treated has some very visible signs, like maybe over weight. Why wouldn't and eye doctor pick up on that and recommend to the patient that they receive a more detailed eye exam? How can we better inform patients that they may be at risk of Diabetic Retinopathy and get them to request the test? Is this an insurance issue? Keep up the great work and I thank you for your support in educating our members. As Always - Be Well.

Jan 03, 2013 - 6:32 PM by David D

Well David, you know how there are lazy people in all professions and it is proactive people like your followers that will benefit from the knowledge they can gain and share with a Site like yours. I always tell people that just because someone is a doctor does not mean that they are going to do their job correctly. Taking time to educate takes time from a doctors schedule therefore it translates into less dollars or profit. Some is pressure from insurance companies too that makes it easy for a Doctor to "rationalize" a speedy exam. Education is the best defense. Unfortunately there are no warning signs scary enough for a diabetic to run to the doctor with. Even my own brother-in-law failed to ask me why he had vision changes in my own backyard one day. He noticed he had become very nearsighted during the day then it went away the next. It wasn't until he had fainted at work months later due to his blood sugar level. He was in the hospital for days. I even asked him "you must of had warning signs, why did you not ask me...... I was right there in front of you when you admit to having the vision change!" Of course like most people, they hope if it is ignored it will go away. He still fails to listen to what his doctors recommend for his diabetic diet. I will be doing a video on a machine that makes it super easy and fun for doctors and patients to get a good retinal evaluation without a dilation. It is called an "Optos" . Give me a week to put it out. :)

Jan 03, 2013 - 8:56 PM by janina s

i love your videos!!

Jan 03, 2013 - 11:56 AM by Sarah M

Thank you Sarah, what a great smile you have with great teeth!

Jan 03, 2013 - 8:43 PM by janina s